The British Swim School is helping Secaucus residents get ready for the summer swim season by providing must know water safety tips to keep our communities safe.
Summer is here!
And with it come trips to the beach and afternoons spent outside by the pool. We know that there’s nothing like getting away for a warm and sunny break this time of year, but it’s important to stay safe and practice proper water safety.
Our Goal is to prevent water related accidents!
To do this the experts at British Swim School have analyzed common water related misconceptions and have decided to fix them:
- “THERE IS A LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, SO I DON’T NEED TO WATCH MY KIDS CLOSELY.”Lifeguards are not babysitters, and you should always keep a close eye on your kids when near a body of water
- “MY CHILD HAS WATER WINGS, SO IT IS SAFE FOR THEM TO BE IN THE WATER UNATTENDED”A child should always be arm’s length away from a parent or guardian when using flotation devices that are not coast guard certified.
- “DO NOT WORRY ABOUT CHECKING CLOSED POOLS IF YOUR CHILD GOES MISSING.”Always check the water first! It only takes 2 minutes of no oxygen to the brain before brain damage can occur.
- “KNOWING HOW TO SWIM IS GUARANTEED WATER SAFETY”A cramp can turn a skilled swimmer into a distressed swimmer. Skills that allow you to float, relax, and keep you calm in the water are lifesaving. Knowing how to swim and knowing how to be safe in the water are two different things.
- “DO IT YOURSELF POOL LESSONS AT HOME ARE GOOD ENOUGH.”Although some type of aquatic education is beneficial for anyone; Formal swimming lessons can reduce the drowning risk by 88%. During formal swimming lessons an individual also develops social and aquatic skills that are hard to replicate at home or a local swimming pool.
- “CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL ABILITIES CAN’T LEARN HOW TO SWIM.”Swimming can not only be therapeutic, but everyone is capable of being taught how to be safe in the water. Being able to understand how water acclimation feels like can be done by anyone. Do not forget that swimming is also a social skill. It can help develop an understanding of social interaction.
- “INFANTS THAT SPENT TIME SWIMMING SLEEP BETTER”Okay this one is true. A tired baby is a sleeping baby! Swimming can be taught at an early age of 3 months. It’s also a great activity that helps babies to regulate sleep times, muscle growth, motor and cognitive skills.
Whether you are taking lessons at British Swim School, or with a different school, we want to make sure that everyone stays water-safe this summer.
For more water safety info please visit our website at https://britishswimschool.com/hudsonwaterfront/list_of_news/35-ways-to-stay-safe-in-and-around-the-water/
LaQuinta Inn Secaucus
Conveniently located 1 mile away from the Mall at Mill Creek and The Plaza at Harmon Meadow, British Swim School at the LaQuinta Inn Secaucus is located at the pool inside the beautiful La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands.
The pool is heated and kept at over 85 degrees. This pool also is saltwater based. Saltwater behaves like a natural moisturizer and exfoliator; it increases our member’s skin’s ability to retain moisture.
LaQuinta Inn Secaucus also provides free parking to our members. However, be mindful that there is a limited amount of parking directly in front of the hotel entrance. The official free parking garage is to the right of the hotel in a separate building. Turn into the driveway on the right side of the hotel, make an immediate right turn into the garage and follow the sign “LaQuinta Inn Guest Parking Only”.
British Swim School at Xchange is located at the pool inside the amenities building named “The Station” or the “4,000 Building” – part of the Xchange at Secaucus Junction complex. Xchange at the Secaucus Junction, is composed of a community of stunning rental apartments situated on the riverfront.
And guess what? You don’t need to live at Xchange or be a member of the amenities building to take swim lessons!
After passing the Kiddie Academy and the Hudson Bread Cafe, turn right onto County Rd Ext and follow the signs for the Leasing Center, which is on the second street on your left. The pool is inside the Leasing Center building. Once you get in the building, the receptionist will happily point you towards our pool.
Free guest parking is available in the attached parking garages to the left and to the right of the entrance.