10 Things for the Weekend
Wondering what to do this weekend around town? Here are a few things to keep in mind, including a fare hike that will make the trip across the Hudson a little pricier, two big sporting events, an author and classical musician, and more…
1. Take heed: NJ Transit fee hikes kick in on Saturday. If you’re heading across the Hudson, the $2.55 bus fare to New York is jumping to $3.20, while monthly passes will rise from $78 to $98. For train riders, the one-way fare from Secaucus Junction to Penn Station is rising from $3.25 to $4. Here’s a rundown of the increases from NJ Transit.
2. Author Allison Amend (“Things That Pass for Love,” “Stations West”) will discuss her work, inspirations and more at the Secaucus Library Fri., April 30, at 6 p.m.
3. Catch some wildlife art as an exhibit of James Fiorentino opens at the N.J. Meadowlands Commission’s Flyway Gallery on Sun., May 2. Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This piece (right) shows a peregrine falcon over the George Washington Bridge.
5. Get your mom a present for Mother’s Day next Sun., May 9.
6. Check out the playing of 16-year-old classical guitarist Matthew Fishteyn at 2 p.m. the Secaucus Library on Saturday. (Here’s a vid)
7. Catch a movie – At the Kerasotes theater: 3-D Alice In Wonderland, 3-D Clash of the Titans, 3-D How to Train Your Dragon, 3-D Phish, Back-Up Plan, Date Night, Death at a Funeral, Furry Vengeance, Kick-Ass, The Losers, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Oceans and Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too.
8. Buy some furniture – Raymour & Flanigan is having its “Friends & Family” sale this weekend — Sat. & Sunday. Click for info.
9. Catch some live music – OLD ENEMY is playing at The Blue Room (the concert venue next to A.J.’s) at 9 p.m.
10. Watch the Derby - Saturday is Derby Day! The 136th running of the Kentucky Derby is slated for about 4 p.m. So get your picks, hit OTB, and tune in at home or at a bar.